Friday, April 17, 2009

A "real" post

This whole intern year thing has certainly cut into my posts! If it wasn't for Amanda's Weekend Exposure project, you would have no idea whether I was living or dead. I am, in fact, living, and doing relatively well. I am a little worn out from such a busy year, but compared to other interns in this country, I count myself lucky, and I have little about which I can truly complain.

I must say that when it comes to this profession that I have chosen; sometimes the weight of the responsibility is more substantial than I could have imagined. I have literally let myself get weighed down, and I'm striving now create new ways of dealing with the pressure without letting it weigh me down. I have had to learn, time and again, that I don't get to control everything, and that no matter how much I learn, and how strongly I feel, people are going to make their own decisions, and they may not be what I would want for them as their physician. Most of the time I can just remind myself that I am "pro-choice" in the broadest sense of the term, and that I believe that people get to choose what they want for their own lives and bodies. This is a little harder for me when it is parents who are choosing for their children. It is harder for me to see a child suffering because of the choices that the parents have made. I don't know if I can say that it outrages me, but close. I am too chicken-shit to be outraged. I get enraged instead, I guess. I tell myself that the parents are only doing what they think is best for their children, but that is little consolation when you see what I have seen, and know that following medical recommendations would have prevented these tragedies. This issue is especially important to me when it comes to choosing how to bring a child into this world (hospital birth vs. home birth) and choosing whether or not to vaccinate children. I'll spare you the rest of this rant. I'm either preaching to the choir or making enemies whenever I go into it. Please: Have your babies in a hospital, and vaccinate your kids. I'm not saying everything goes right 100% of the time when you follow these recommendations (trust me, I have had a very recent experience that proves to me that I can do everything "right" and things can still go wrong), but there is so much more that can go wrong if you don't. End of rant.

On a lighter note, I have recently been able to take a short vacation, and I spent that time in Michigan visiting SSFB. I haven't seen her or her hubby since we started residency, and it was a sweet reunion. Here are a few pictures from our visit.

This is SSFB's house in Canton.

Here are some pics from a successful day of lighthouse hunting:
Me (and SSFB) in front of the
William Livingstone Memorial Light

Windmill Point Light in Detroit


Port Sanilac Light


White Rock Light


Steve with the Harbor Beach Light


Pointe Aux Barques Light


SSFB and Donny


Steve and me.

We had a lovely time, and I wish the get-away could have been longer.

Finally, I think this is great. The embed option is disabled, so I can't post the video here, but here is the youtube link to see Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent.

Anyway, I guess this post is quite long enough.
Cheers!



7 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

So last night I was going to leave a comment on your blog and it was going to say something like "I'm ready for a real post from you." But I didn't cus I was like, "Hmm...she's probably really busy." But then, when I woke up I was so glad to see that you had posted! Looks like you had a great time in Michigan. Love the pictures!

And YES, I have been meaning to tell you, that I DID get the book, and I am so excited to read it. It's been on my list of books to read for a very long time. Also, it looks like you cheated and bought it new, which you totally didn't have to do. But, nevertheless, that was really sweet of you. I hope you get lots of great books from this little project, as well!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a great time with you guys too! It was seriously too long since we had seen you. Thank you so much for visiting us in Michigan, and I'm sorry it snowed on us while you were here.

SSFB

7:43 AM  
Blogger Little Momma said...

This had to be a fantasy vacation, getting to visit such good friends and so many lighthouses. And who knew there were so many in Michigan? Not me. As for having babies in hospitals and getting children immunized, I am part of the choir to whom you are preaching.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

Hoo-ray! I love hearing what is going on in your life. :) AND, I'm so happy to see pictures of Don and Shavonne. They live WAY too far away for my liking. Shavonne, next time you need a visitor, I'm your gal!

As far as 'doctor' advice goes... I'll listen to anything you tell me. :) I've come to learn from very personal experience that importance of having the right kind of medical attention when having a baby. I hate to think of what could have happened to me or to Isaac had we not been in the hospital with trained professionals. I also get upset, like you, when parents think they know better than the doctor. There is a REASON these people spend years in school. The 'research' many parents feel they are doing is coming from biased sources and is, in my opinions, totally unreliable. Doctors know. End of story. Jenny McCarthy doesn't know. End of story. I don't mean to make enemies here either, but feel completely strongly that parents should listen to the guidance of their pediatricians.

Your heart is so big, Allie, and I'm sorry that your profession is bringing with it some burdens. I show the stress of my job in my hair (cough.... gray!) so at least you're lucky in that regard.

Cheers!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Allie, the pictures you took were amazing!! I am very proud! I feel like by being a picture snob, some of my schooling is also rubbing off on people close to me too. :)

I heard both of your rants off of your blog, and I hope you know that I am with you. I know that you know what you are talking about and on more than one occasion that has made all of the difference. If the Little Momma hadn't listened to you when she got that blood clot in her lung, or when Wesley called to get your advice when he was having trouble breathing. I know that you do everything you can, and I hope you know that it is enough. I love you so much. I know you always have people's best interest at heart.

12:43 PM  
Blogger jenny.hawkes said...

I'm so proud of you for accomplishing your dream of becoming a doctor! Your heart is so big, I know it must hurt some days. You have always been an inspiration to me, and I know you are influencing many lives for good with what you have chosen to do.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I empathize with your stress and occasional disheartened. Just remember that you're amazing and that you're passionate about what you do, which is why you care. Love you!

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home