Computer Databases Never Lie
So, I've had my beloved macbook for a little over a year now, and the iTunes program keeps a tally of how many times I listen to each song. It actually makes a playlist of the the top 25 most listened-to songs. I thought that my top 25 list might tell you a little bit about how 2008 has gone for me. Could be interesting, eh? I have to say, the top 25 on my iMac and my iPod are different, but for now, let's just look at the macbook. Some of these have explanations, and some simply are what they are.
1: Dante's Prayer: by Loreena McKennitt. This is my all-time favorite song. I have had a tradition since 9/11/01; I light a candle every night before I go to bed and listen to this song. I have missed it a few times--usually when I'm on the road, and haven't remembered to bring a candle with me, but this has only happened maybe a dozen times over the years.
2-10: The entire soundtrack to Somewhere in Time: When I was interviewing for residency programs, I was at a hotel in Colorado, and it was too noisy. I don't remember if it was the people above me or next to me or what, but I remember that I had an interview the next day, and I could not sleep. So, I plugged in the macbook, turned on iTunes, and played Somewhere in Time on repeat all night long. I've listened to it enough, that my mind just follows the music and stops spinning and focusing on everything else, and just focuses on the music. It always helps me sleep.
11: Together We Will Live Forever: by Clint Mansell from "The Fountain" soundtrack.
12: The Wings: by Gustavo Santaolalla from "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack.
13: Sage of Lamberene: by Kurt Bestor. One of my top 3 all time favorite songs.
14: Praan: by Gary Schyman. This is the song from the "Where the Hell is Matt" video. If you haven't seen this video, you should check it out on wherethehellismatt.com. It's amazing.
15: 9 Crimes: by Damien Rice
16: Return to the Heart: by David Lanz. One of my top 3 all time favorite songs.
17: The Final Countdown: by Europe. When it was coming time for "The Match" and for me to find out where my life was going to end up for the next 3 years, this song came into my head one morning, and I started listening to it daily to get in the mode and ready for "The Match."
18: Let it Snow: by Kurt Bestor. What can I say? Even 'Let it Snow' makes me happy if Kurt arranges it. This is probably one of my most favorite Christmas songs ever.
19: Rejoice: by Il Divo.
20: The Fire: by Jerry Goldsmith from the "Medicine Man" soundtrack.
21.Christofori's Dream: by David Lanz
22: At Wit's End: by Hans Zimmer from "Pirates 3" soundtrack. This is currently my favorite soundtrack. (Not my all-time favorite, but my current favorite).
23: Up is Down: by Hans Zimmer from "Pirates 3" soundtrack
24: The Healing: by James Newton Howard from "Lady in the Water" soundtrack.
25: Joy to the World: by Kurt Bestor. Another amazing Christmas arrangement. Kurt just makes Christmas for me!
So, that's my year in tunes. I'll have to check out my iPod and iMac, and see what the year looked like when I was on the go or at my desk!
I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year. Welcome to 2009. Let's make it the year of our dreams!
Cheers!
Allie.


3 Comments:
What an interesting list! I really wish I had something like that, it would be so interesting! I'm so grateful that you matched this year and moved up here! I think you and I should make a deal that we won't live in different states anymore!
I'm glad you moved up here too and I love this idea. I need a Macbook too!!! :) Love you!
Ok, so I probably only knew half of those songs by name. Maybe I know more, just would need to hear them first. ;) It never ceases to amaze me how well my sisters all know composers... and usually only by hearing the first line of notes.
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment
<< Home