Back on the Mac!
My beloved Macbook is back and as good as new!
For those of you who didn't get to hear my tragic story, I spilled some water on it a few weeks ago, just a couple of cc's of water, really, and the next day, it would not even turn on. I took it into the Apple store that weekend, and they told me, "You're in luck! It's the last day of your warranty! If you had brought it in tomorrow, nothing would be covered, but since you brought it in today, everything is covered." Since I now knew how fragile this sleek little black book is, I said, "While I'm here, why don't I buy the extended warranty?"
So I left Apple that day with a new $250.00 two year warranty, and promises to hear back from them on Monday about my book.
On that Monday, they called me and said, "Oh, by the way, the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, so actually, we won't cover any of this, and it's going to cost more to repair the macbook than it would to just buy a new macbook. Oh, and that $250.00 POS warranty we sold you over the weekend, sorry, we can't refund that money. Have fun fighting with Apple Central on that one. Have a fracking nice day." (Those weren't the exact words, but they convey the way I felt after the conversation). I mean, honestly, what kind of damage is a warranty supposed to cover if not ACCIDENTAL damage? If I had spilled the water on purpose, and made it clear that this was INTENTIONAL damage, would the damage then be covered by the supposed warranty?
So I've been fighting with Apple for about a month now on getting the $250 back, and in the mean-time, sent the dead black book to a Mac repair shop, called MacService, not connected in any way with Apple, and they were WONDERFUL. They got back to me the same day and let me know what the problem was, and how much it would be to fix (about $900.00 with shipping back and forth included, not the $1600 that Apple quoted).
Now, $900.00 is still a lot of money for a girl making less than minimum wage, but thankfully, I have an allowance at the residency for "educational expenses" and it didn't quite cover the full cost of the repairs, but it covered most of it, so I was able to afford the fix.
Again, MacService was awesome. They fixed it the same day I let them know I wanted it fixed, shipped it overnight, and I got it back as good as new on Friday. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone who needs repairs on their Mac computers or laptops.
Morals of the story:
1. Do not let water or any other liquid-like beverage sort-of fluid get on your MacBook. Ever.
2. If something goes wrong with your MacBook, do not ever count on the so-called "customer service" at Apple to help you out. Times are tough, people, and they need to sell more computers, even if it means breaking their warranty agreeements and over-charging for repairs so that it seems like your only choice is to buy a new computer.
3. Do not ever fork out the money for the overpriced extended apple care warranty. They will not honor the warranty anyway, and you will probably not ever get a penny of the money back.
4. If you ever do #1, skip #2 and #3 and just go to MacService , they do a great job and get back to you much faster than you would expect.
Thank you for enjoying my rant.
Cheers!


4 Comments:
Whatever! I would have beein PEEEEEISSSED.
Way to not give up though, and I'm glad you got your Mac Book back.
P.S. Hi, I'm a P.C. ;)
I am so happy you are up and running again!! I'm so sorry that those people were so stupid! I agree with you that your warranty should definitly cover that for you! And, if it really didn't somewhere in the fine print, they should have offered to put the $250 into repairing it since they screwed you over. I'm glad someone was nice to you though!!
I just moved my beverage over after reading this....so glad it got saved.
Thinking about you (and your macbook) often. I think I am good to go on internet, lets hookup yo! That is, when we have time.
Love you.
This is an even sadder story after you were so close to getting everything covered on your almost expired warranty. Relative deprivation added to the actual deprivation. Maybe they heard the rumor that you were a doctor and figured you could afford to throw away $1600 without blinking. I hope everybody reads your blog and Apple goes bankrupt. Great customer service. Not.
Post a Comment
<< Home