Monday, November 03, 2008

Back to Mostly Human

I apologize to those of you who feel like I have fallen off of the face of the earth. I know that the Weekend Exposure blogs are interesting, but that you'd also like to actually hear about what's going on with me as well. This blog is for you!

My last rotation was my first OB rotation, which had me on call every third night. This started out fine, because I was relatively well-slept when the rotation started, but very quickly I became exhausted, with no real chance to ever catch up on my sleep. The rotation itself went well, and I have now delivered around 20 babies, if you include assisting on c-sections. There was one baby that I really and truly delivered all by myself, as the amount of time from the arrival of the laboring mother at L&D to the arrival of the baby into the world was only 17 minutes, which much shorter than the amount of time it took for her "real" doctor to be paged out of church and arrive himself at L&D. I was it. Luckly, it was an uncomplicated delivery, and mother and baby are healthy and well.

In addition to my professional life being busy, my family life was also bustling during the OB rotation, as Wes was in town for a few weeks while Elisabeth was in basic training, and Little Momma moved from our family home in Bountiful to a condo. I made quite a few trips to Bountiful in that time to help pack, help with the move, and visit with family.
I am excited about this move for Little Momma. I like that she has a new place that is all her own. It has great energy, and it will be much easier for her to maintain. I was, of course, a little sad to say goodbye to our family home, but I am also excited about the people who bought the home. I think that they will be happy there, and am glad that they seem really excited about fixing up the house and yard.
It was fun to go through much of the old drawings, school work, and such, which Little Momma had saved for me. Below is one of the drawings I did as a kid. It is one of my first "still life" drawings, I suppose, and is very clearly a picture of the owl clock that I used to have. I will, in the near future, post some more choice pieces from the collection.


I am now on my first pediatrics rotation, and this is going well so far. It's early enough in the season that there aren't too many kiddos in the hospital, so even nights on call have been nights in which I have been able to actually get some sleep. In addition, I was able to go to the AOA convention in Las Vegas last week, and while most people go to Vegas to party, I went to attend lectures and to sleep. It was so nice, by the end of my visit there, to feel more human than zombie. I think it's probably nice for Steve too, as I'm much less grumpy when I'm rested. He's been great to upt up with such a grumpy wife the last few weeks.

So, life has been busy (what did I expect? I'm an intern!) but I really am happy, and feel lucky to be in such a great program. I enjoy the people with whom I am working, and I love what I'm doing. Things really couldn't be better.

I'll do my best to be better at keeping in touch, but I will certainly go through periods when I am not going to have time to blog--let alone write long emails or return phone calls. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers!

5 Comments:

Blogger Little Momma said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. Your life always sounds so interesting. I love it that you have helped deliver so many babies and that you got to spend a week in Las Vegas. You were such a big help with the move and the condo hunting. Thank you for all the trips you made to Bountiful and all the moral support you gave to me. I love the owl clock you drew. I had totally forgotten about that toy and it brought back some good memories for me. Good luck on your new rotation.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

Allie, I feel cool even KNOWING you so that I can READ your blog when you post. I can't believe you even have time to do it at all.
So cool that you have delivered so many babies. I would love to hear some of those birth stories!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

Oh, and I was also going to say that I think somewhere in my old stuff I have a print that you drew of a wolf in pencil. I think you called it "Sentinal" or something like that and made a couple copies of it. I thought that was so dang cool!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Awesome Allie! I have missed seeing you around as much, but I knew you were staying busy. Thanks for helping the Little Momma move and bringing some of that stuff to my apartment. I miss you!

9:15 PM  
Blogger jenny.hawkes said...

I had an owl clock just like that! In fact, my mom still has it. I'm glad things are going well. I miss you.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home