Geek Journal Update
Well, it has been a bit of a disappointing year for me as far as variety of birds in my yard. I know that when I've done this before, it has taken a while for the more 'exotic' species of birds to find their way to my yard, and that my advertising this year didn't really get into swing until the summer, so those spring settlers had already settled, but still...
I ended up with mostly sparrows and finches, which was fine. I had a couple of turtle doves as well. I had grackles and starlings, both of which I could have done without, and I had black-chinned and broad-tailed hummingbirds which were delightful.
Today, though, I got to add two new birds to the Geek Journal--red shafted flickers (there's two of them!) which are woodpecker cousins, and Juncos. The arrival of Juncos has always been the herald of winter for me. It's officially cold out there, people!
I'm hoping to plant a bird garden next spring, which will increase my advertising, and earlier in the year, so hopefully next year I can report to you various and assundry new additions to the Geek Journal.
Red-Shafted Flicker


5 Comments:
Allison, that is SO awesome that you are a bird watcher!
I remember when I was little and you had named all the little finches that would visit your backyard. I always thought that was so cool.
I always loved your "bird trivia" lessons, back in the day. I'm sure the birds will soon realize that your garden is the place to be, and you'll be surrounded by many feathered friends.
I loved it when our yard was filled with birds of all kinds. We even got a hawk one day and my favorites were the little blue buntings. I hope you get some of those next year
Is the bird garden from that book I bought you maybe?? :) This takes me back to when we all lived in the house and you would have us all keep watch too. I think my favorites were the hummingbirds. :)
I heart you geek. Sorry about the starlings....I can hear your voice now cursing them.
Post a Comment
<< Home