Monday, June 15, 2009

Geek Journal Update

I have the hummingbird feeders out now, and not only do they attract the hummingbirds (I've got the black-chinned variety)

male

female

but I have also had house finches try to get in on the syrupy sweetness.

male/female

and a new visitor was also attracted: a pine warbler!


Want to see what you can attract to a hummingbird feeder? The feeders themselves are relatively inexpensive, and you don't have to buy the red syrup that you find in the stores. Just use:
1 part of sugar to
4 parts water, and
heat it until the sugar dissolves completely.
Red food coloring is optional. I never use it, and I've never had a problem getting the little guys to come.

In addition to the hummingbird feeder frequenters, I have also spotted a mourning dove among the rocks with the birdseed. I had these in Nevada and Bountiful, but this is the first I've seen of them here.

Cheers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kjersti said...

HOORAY for beautiful birds! I might try the hummingbird feeder on the back patio, I've always really liked hummingbirds! I'm so glad you keep getting interesting birds to keep your geek journal going! :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Who's B? said...

Beautiful. My grandmother used to have tons of humminfbird feeders. One of my favorite pastimes is sitting in the morning and evening quiet at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and watching them come and go.

I can't wait to have a hot cuppa and sit in the quiet again with you. Until then I will just read your geek journal entries while drinking tea.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Awesome Allie!! :) I really like the pictures too.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

So cute! I want one of those little dovies to come to my house.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home