Sunday, June 14, 2009

You did NOT just say that!

Interesting things I have heard people say this week:

1. The other day I participated in the delivery of a set of twins. The mother was hoping to give birth vaginally, but ended up needing a C-section. Her husband made a few comments--attempts to be funny, I think--upon which I frowned. It seems like common sense to me, but just as an FYI to the guys out there that maybe don't know any better:

If your wife is doing her best to push out the TWINS for whom you donated half of the genetic material, it probably isn't the best plan to tell her that she doesn't look like she's really pushing that hard, and that she should be screaming and have some sweat on her brow at the very least. (This sort of comment is probably not even acceptable if your wife is only pushing out one baby).

When your wife ends up needing a C-section because it was physically impossible for her to push out the twins, it is probably not the best plan to ask the doctor if he/she can "do some liposuction to get rid of all that fat while you're in there."
As an aside, women getting surgery, C-sections included, say this ALL the time. "Hey Doc, while you're in there, wanna give me liposuction/a tummy tuck/ a boob job/etc. It is okay for someone to say that about him/herself, but for the husband of a woman who is having surgery to give birth to his children to say that...NOT okay.

2. As another resident and one of his patients walked past me in the clinic this week, the patient asked the other resident, "Is that hot chick a doctor?! Dude! You should go into practice with her!"

3. As I was walking into a patients room the other day, the patient was talking on the phone. When I opened the door, I heard her say, "I need to go now." When she looked at me, she said, "Actually, I don't need to go. I thought it was the doctor." and continued to talk on the phone.

Here's the thing--even if I wasn't the doctor, if I walked into the room, wouldn't it be a no-brainer to get off of the phone and find out what I wanted? If I was the nurse, would that mean that I had nothing important to say or do to her?

Hey people, watch what you say!
Cheers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darcy said...

I can not believe how people just don't think before they open their mouths. As someone who has been guilty of my own thoughtless remarks, I try very hard to be sensitive to those around me, to not insult anyone. I am sorry you have to hear such stupid and thoughtless comments. You deserve more hot chick comments, and less, "I'm looking for the Dr" comments.
Love you Ali.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

I'm sorry Allie! If it makes you feel better I hear people say dumb stuff at work all of the time! That guy should be WAY more sensitive about his wife, or someone shoul punch him. And you should refuse service to anyone that doubts that you could be their doctor! :) Love you!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

Wow.
That husband sounds like such an ass. If there's ONE time that a husband should keep his mouth shut and be nothing but supportive, it's during labor.
What do you do when people don't get off the phone when you walk in the room? People did it to Ashley all the time, and she would wait a minute and then turn around and walk back out, going on to the next patient if she had one. They always felt pretty stupid coming to the door afterward and having to ask me where she went.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

WOW. Not quite sure what else to say. The lady having twins should divorce her jerk of a husband. Who needs that!? I'd also have punched the woman in the face for not getting off her phone for being rude AND for assuming that you weren't the doctor. You are totally hot, so that comment was OK. :)

Kjersti - I love that Ashley handled it that way!! Props to her!!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

I can't believe that guy! What an a-hole. And that other stuff would have totally pissed me off, too. Once an elderly gentleman was talking to Brian and I about how we are both in school and how I had better grades than Brian. The man said, "Well, it's easy for girls, they don't have to think, they just have to smile at the professors."

Yeah. Not cool.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home