Geek Journal Update: Stunt Doubles
You'll be relieved to know that I did finally get a really good look at an oriole today, a juvenile that was stealing a sip from one of the hummingbird feeders. It was, for certain, an oriole.
I also got a good look at another bird, that helps explain some of my initial confusion--not only do I have orioles, I have black headed grosbeaks! In a world where the bright colors of the males can cause some mistaken identities, it is lovely to see a female or a juvenile to help with the identification!
Here's what I mean:
When you have oriole males that look like this,

And grosbeak males that look like this:
and they're on the move, or not quite close enough for you to see the fine details, it is a lovely sight to see an oriole juvenile that looks like this
or a grosbeak female that looks like this

just to help you make a more positive identification. Cheers!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home