Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Small World and Other Stories

I was in the cafeteria the other day with a medical student, and we were asking each other the 'getting to know you' questions, and he asked me where I got married. I told him that I had planned a destination wedding and got married at the Point Arena Lighthouse in northern California. A guy sitting alone at the table next to us turned around and said, "I don't mean to butt into your conversation, but did you say you were married at Point Arena Lighthouse?" I said I was, and he said, "I used to give tours of that lighthouse!"
Now, Point Arena is a very small town. What are the chances, really, that you're ever going to run into someone who has lived there or been there--especially in a completely different state in the cafeteria at a hospital? Small world, eh?

Other noteworthy experiences lately? Well, I worked 106 hours last week. That in and of itself is pretty noteworthy to me, and I really haven't yet missed an opportunity to whine about it a little (or a lot) to anyone who will listen. This week I'm only working 70 hours, so that's kinda like having a vacation.

I did have a patient in the hospital recite a poem for me that he had written. It wasn't good poetry by any stretch of the imagination, but it was sweet nonetheless.

I've been invited to go with "the girls" of the residency on a little trip to LV at the end of October, to attend the AOA conference, and I've just heard that SSFB will come and meet me there too! This is excellent news!

As a follow-up story, the guy with the maggots in the ear had to go to the ER the next day, because he still had one left in there. Little buggar! They couldn't get it out in the ER either, so they had to send him home and then to an ENT the next day.

I really am going to eventually post the "Current 3 Biggest Annoyances" blog soon, but gimmie a break--I worked 106 hours last week! And by the way, I don't get overtime, so the longer I work, the less I make per hour. I think Kitty was making more money while scooping ice cream and decorating cakes than I was making while making medical decisions that effected peoples' lives. (Although I am whining, which I warned you I would, this is not one of my 3 biggest annoyances currently).

More exciting tales soon to come!
Cheers!

6 Comments:

Blogger Little Momma said...

It is too weird that you would mention Point Arena Lighthouse within hearing distance of someone who gave tours there for a year. I guess stranger things have happened, but that one is right up there.

Pat yourself on the back for the 106 hours. I think having to work that much on your own during your first month is a little like learning to swim by getting thrown into the deep end. I think you have earned the right to whine.

But, how fun to be able to go to LV with the girls and see SSFB as a bonus. It sounds like you get some good things along with your headaches.

I love you. You are doing a great job.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

I have to say that if I were working 106 hours a week I would be whining SO MUCH more than you have. You always seem really upbeat, albeit tired sometimes, when I talk to you. Good job taking it all in stride, I think you're doing an amazing job! I love you!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Ronja said...

Hey Beautiful!
I am so proud of you how you handle your first job; the hours, the maggots, the bad poetry... You are great! I hope to get to talk to you soon!

Love ya

7:42 AM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

After your 106 hours, you wouldn't even let me say that I was tired. It was nice to see you at dinner the other day. I'm glad you could get off work long enough. Hang in there, Allie. I think you are amazing and can handle anything that is thrown at you.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank God we love our jobs, eh?

SSFB

11:10 PM  
Blogger Danae said...

Wow. I wouldn't do it. I would falt out refuse and tell them that unless I got more money, I wasn't working ONE SINGLE HOUR over what I was supposed to... be I guess that's one of the many differences between you and me. That, and hey, you kinda don't want to make a bad impression, eh? ;)

Thanks for coming to see me tonight! Just think of Isaac holding up one of my shirts and going, 'Oh, cute!' LOL. Hang in there Bib Sis!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home