Friday, February 17, 2006

Station Identification

I used to have a friend who could NEVER leave the radio on the same station. Even if there was a good song on the radio, there was always the chance that a better song was playing on another station, and it was this slim chance that always made her change the station. Good was not good enough if better was out there somewhere.
I, on the other hand, would find a station that played a good song or two, and I would sit on that station. It could play 30 minutes of commercials and an hour of shitty music, but I would stay. It played something good once, and by god, I would be there when it played a good song again. Not good enough was good enough if there was a chance it could get better.
I was on a roadtrip with my friend, Sabrina, when she pointed out to me that it probably wouldn't kill me to change the station. Sabrina is a pretty healthy person. If there's a good song on, she listens to it, and if there isn't, she changes the station. Isn't that an amazing and novel idea? Isn't it funny how the way that three different women listen to the radio tells you so much about their lives and personalities?
Now, I hardly listen to the radio anymore. I have found one station that is usually really good and I almost never change it, and as old as it makes me sound, that station is NPR. If I want music, I leave nothing up to chance. No more teasing DJs saying, "Right after these commercials I'm going to play some really great songs." I don't have the patience for that kind of shit any more. I just make my own mixes of songs on CDs. That way, as I drive and listen to one amazing song after another, I can think to myself, "Whoever made this mix was a genius!"

5 Comments:

Blogger Danae said...

Yeah, I can see your point, and that makes good sense. I am more like Sabrina, myself. I hope that means one would consider me a healthy person. I like to listen to my CD's, but I also like to listen to the radio occasionally to get my dose of Celebrity Smut... I have to be able to know things before Kjersti does, so when she tries to tell me something knew, I can say, "Yeah, I know."

Kjersti hates it when I do that.

8:18 PM  
Blogger MeL said...

I find if I listen to my CD's too long, I miss the commercials. Isn't that silly? But being home alone so much now, when we get into the car I find it's kinda nice to hear the DJ chatter and occassional huckster trying to sell me a new VW because.. well, in some weird way it's proof I'm not totally alone in the world. (Some days I feel like Cillian Murphy at the beginning of "28 Days Later" and it's nice to know the world isn't as empty as it seems, after all.)

5:38 AM  
Blogger -Wes- said...

Hello dearie, this is actually Elisalyn I am posting as -Wes- because I am too lazy to set up another blog and because I like to annoy your brother, so if my comments sound "smug" or "rakishly good-looking" it is probably the -Wes- getting in. As for me, my ipod has changed my life. I am now a cyborg with wires coming out of my ears and a constant soundtrack. I can totally remember friends who would fit your descriptions though. I would have to say the "constant surfers" would drive me nuts. Muchas Smuchas ; )

7:33 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

Hey Lisee--JEALOUS! I was supposed to get Steve's iPod when he bought a PSP with some of our wedding money, but did that deal ever actually materialize? No. Anyway, I know that I will be a cyborg like you someday, because, as we all know, "Resistance is Futile."

8:07 AM  
Blogger Little Momma said...

What a profound idea this puts forth. ("puts forth?" - I think that must be more Pride and Prejudice.) It reminds me of a night when I was attending Megan Sillito's Life Skills class. I had always been taught that "What I want is not as important as what you want." ("Not my will, but Thine by done.") Then, after some counseling, I changed to "What I want is more important than what you want." (No one else is going to look out for me.) It was an epiphany for me when I finally considered that "What I want is just as important as what you want." It gives me chills even as I write it.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home