Saturday, August 06, 2011

August House


Well, it's August, and I'm happy to report that we are not homeless. I know you didn't even realize that there was a possibility that we could have been homeless (like the Christ child was). I'm sly like that. I've said before that I don't like writing about things until I have a happy ending to report.

It was my understanding, before I moved here, that one has to live and work in Alaska for 30 days before closing on a house. It's the main reason that I graduated June 30, and moved to Alaska July 1--to get to work on July 2 and be able to close on August House by August 2.
Turns out, you have to have 30 days of PAYSTUBS before you can close on a house in Alaska, which put my closing date at August 16, instead August 2. I only had July House for the month of July (hence the name, July House) and unless the sellers of August House would let us move in and rent for the first two weeks of August, we were potentially homeless for the first 2 weeks of August.

I'll spare you the long story and tons of suspense that kept me up with anxiety for a week or so. The sellers said we could rent, and we were able to move into August House on August 1. The storage company that was holding our household goods delivered everything on August 2, and I've spent the weekend trying to get moved in and organized. So far, I only really have the kitchen and bar area completed, but I'm pretty proud of the work we've gotten done. I think August House is such a great home, and I'm looking forward to getting all nested in. I'm hoping to have it visitor-ready here soon too.

So, in addition to the photos you have already seen of the front of the house, etc, here are some pictures of the completed kitchen and bar area. Eventually, I would love to get some nicer furniture and maybe do a little remodeling, but for now, I'm just so happy to have my own kitchen again!




New table and chairs (so we didn't have to use the patio furniture in the kitchen)
purchased at "The Mall"
Yes, my bar has a built in blender and coffee pot. Perfect, right?

August House has so many great little things about it that I just love, and it's got really great energy in it as well. It's got a lot of natural light with big windows and sky lights. The sellers filled all of the planters with flowers for me, and they left the house absolutely spotless for us.

Our back yard is full of salmon berry bushes, with ripe red and
salmon colored berries. I'm going to have to learn how to make salmon berry jam!

Right now, I am using the internet access at the coffee shop to blog and get online. We are set to get some internet access at August House on Wednesday, and then hopefully I will be able to blog more about the house and the rest of life here.

Until then, cheers!

4 Comments:

Blogger K.J. said...

I love the house and the pictures! I love and miss you too! :)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Kae Loy said...

Your kitchen looks so beautiful and I love how bright it is! The sunlight in that first picture makes it look so warm and appealing. I'm glad you found a table and chairs so quickly, so that you didn't have to use your patio table in the dining room. I wish I could sit down for coffee with you in your new kitchen.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

The house looks awesome! I am glad that you didn't have to be homeless! You know you are no longer in Utah County when you have a coffee maker and mixer attached in your bar! Sounds like your vacation is going as planned!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

This post kinda made me want to cry. I'm too poor to come and visit the August House and I miss you SO MUCH! Please move home and stop leaving the rest of us behind! And if you can, bring those three boys with you, too! Haha! I assume the Steven-boy will come with you no matter what, but the Wes-boy and Geoff-boy aren't as much a guarantee and I kinda miss them, too!

Your house is beautiful and your flowers are beautiful and it's all very beautiful. Happy now?!?

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home