Day 4: A Habit You Wish You Didn't Have
I really do wish that I wasn't such a picker. It's part of my spectrum of OCD traits, which, by the way, I come by honestly. Many of my relatives on my mom's side of the family joke that they're so OCD that they call it CDO instead, so as to alphabetize the letters, perfecting the acronym.
When it comes to picking, once I know something is 'there' (wherever there is) that shouldn't be 'there', my mind can focus on almost nothing else until the out-of-place thing is removed--at any cost. It just cannot be allowed to remain where it is not wanted/needed/supposed to be.
The consequences of this habit, of course, are that I have spots of skin all over my body that have been quite terrorized by squeezing fingers. The unwanted trait (a zit, an ingrown hair, etc) has been eradicated, but the civilian casualties have also been high. The surrounding skin suffers greatly for harboring the fugitive.
This is actually the reason that you will almost never see me in shorts. I have a number of ingrown hairs on my legs, (products of shaving), and any time I am in shorts, I end up scouring my legs for the unwanted dark blemishes, pick and squeeze them until I'm inflamed, bruised, or bleeding (and still continue picking, if I need to in order to get that little hair out) and then end up putting on pants because my legs look like those of a meth addict.
It's also why you will almost never see me wear nail polish on my fingernails. It always ends up getting chipped, in just one little spot, (and if I'm honest, it's usually from me biting my nails--another bad habit I wish I didn't have) and then I have to pick it all off, because I can't stand to have that one little chip on one nail. I will sit for hours and pick every spot of it off of every single fingernail if I don't have nail polish remover readily available.
Anyway. Bad habits. I've got a lot of them.
Cheers.


2 Comments:
I am OCD as well...So is Shantel! Trevor has a bit of it, too! I try to watch myself in public and around people, but it is hard sometimes! Hehe!
I knew you were a picker, I just didn't know to what degree. You might have to change the order of the initials to COD when you get to Alaska though. I had no idea these people where so into fish. Being a Night Stocker at Safeway, it has come to my attention how many shrimp flavored products there are here. Big Al's is even having a special on Smoked Salmon pizza right now.
Post a Comment
<< Home