Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Welcome Isaac Blake!



On Sunday, October 8th, at 11:39 am, my first little nephew was born: Isaac Blake. I received a phone call from Gary around 2:30 in the morning my time informing me that Danae was in labor and they were going to the hospital. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't, and I figured that since I had Monday off for Columbus Day, I could drive up to Utah to see the baby and drive back the next day. I didn't think I'd get there in time to see the birth, but I left as soon as I could pack--around 4:00 am.
I didn't even stop to pee on the drive--just to get gas in Cedar City. When I got to the hospital, they were just about to take Danae out of the labor room and into the OR for an emergency C-section (because the baby's heart rate had dropped). They were literally coming out the door when I got there. I hesitated for just a moment, but I wanted to be in on the C-section, and my family told me to try, so I followed the entourage to the OR. They said that they would have to ask the anesthesiologist if I could come in, but I really wasn't going to take no for an answer, so I just got all gowned up and put on the poofy hair-cover and booties, and when they let Gary in, I went in too.

The anesthesiologist was grumpy about having me in there, but the OB/GYN, Sam, was very cool and happy to have me there. I did my best to help where I could, and stay out of the way when I should. The baby's heart rate was back to normal, so Danae tried pushing again, but the baby wasn't budging, and Sam said she thought it was best to do the C-section anyway. Danae agreed.
The C-section was probably the most awesome thing I've ever seen in my life. It was such an honor for me that Danae and Gary would let me be there. I hope I was able to be of some comfort and help to Danae through the process.

As a side note: not only was the anesthesiologist a dick, but he was also incompetent (if you ask me). Danae was feeling a fair amount of pain during the C-section, and Sam kept asking the anesthesiologist to give her more medicine, and he was giving it, but it wasn't helping. Now, I know I'm only a medical student, so maybe I don't know anything, but I've just finished two months of surgery rotations, so I've observed quite a few anesthesiologists. If I were an anesthesiologist, and I was giving drugs to a patient and they weren't working, I would start to wonder what was wrong--either the drugs are not right, or they're not getting in, right? There's no other explanation. This guy wasn't even paying attention. I noticed after he pushed the first set of drugs that they weren't working, so out of the corner of my eye I was watching the guy. I checked the drug names on the vials to make sure they were correct, and I watched to make sure he was really putting the drugs in the IV tubing.
Danae was still in pain, and Sam asked for more drugs, and the anesthesiologist said, "I can't give her anything more without putting her out." The only thing I could think was, 'BULLSHIT! There's NO WAY she's getting the drugs', and he just wasn't thinking or paying attention. I checked the IV tubing. There were two IV bags and two sets of tubing, but only one set of tubing was connected to Danae. The other tubing was dripping on the floor, and there was a HUGE puddle. I said, "I think your drugs are on the floor." and pointed to the puddle. The anesthesiologist said, "Shit! Someone get me a towel." and after cleaning up the mess, he gave Danae her drugs through the right IV, and she finally had some relief. After her C-section, he was suddenly MUCH nicer than he had been before. "Just let me know if you need anything." Whatever asshole.

Anyway, Isaac is in the world, and mother and son are both doing great. He is such a cute and sweet little baby, and I'm so excited to have this new addition to our family. I can't wait to see how he grows.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chelsee said...

I am so glad that you got there right on time! I bet it was a huge comfort to Danae to have you in there. It would have been for me. And lucky you were there to tell the stupid anesthesiologist that she wasn't getting any of the drugs!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

Wow... I can't even tell you how glad I was that you were there. I didn't know anything was wrong... all I knew was I don't like hospitals, and the fact that I was going under the knife scared me a lot. I was so very happy to have both you and my husband in the operating room with me, and I'm glad that you were able to watch the C-Section. If the doctor was right, and all my other babies will need to be born the same way, I'm sure we can arrange for you to watch it again! :) Love you, Allison.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home