Everything I need to know in life I learned from watching Xena
Dr W is one of those guys who is full of trivia. This guy would be awesome to have on your team for trivial persuit. It really seems like he knows something about everything.
Today, he used the quote, "divide and conquer," and asked me who said it. Because Julius Caesar said it in Xena, I said Julius Caesar. Dr W said, "No, Caesar said, 'Veni, vidi, vici.' Translated: 'I came, I saw, I conquered.'"
I told Dr W that I knew that Caesar said "I came, I saw, I conquered." but that I thought he also said, "Divide and conquer." He said he didn't think so. I asked him who said it then, and he said, "Look it up on the internet." Translated: He doesn't know.
So I looked it up tonight, (if a doctor tells you to look something up, you'd better do it!) and it turns out it is uncertain who said it first, but the quote is attributed to, who?....Julius Caesar!


4 Comments:
Yesterday on Talk of the Nation on NPR, Ken Jennings was the guest. He is the guy from Utah who won over 2 million dollars on Jeopardy. He said when he was young, he had notebooks and notebooks full of interesting trivial facts. It was a long time before he realized that not everybody kept notebooks full of interesting trivial facts. Anyway, keep it up, Allison. Maybe you could get onto Jeopardy and become a millionaire.
I always thought that I had a great general view of history and mythology because of Xena. I knew that you obvious had to take Xena out of it, but otherwise... It reminds me of how we would watch a Xena about something, and then you would learn about it in your classes. Like the Furies, or Julius Ceaser, etc... Ah... good times. I love Xena! I should watch those all again.
Maybe I should've spent a little more time on Xena and a little less time on other things. Unless the doctor's question is, "Who were the cousins on "So You Think You Can Dance" or "Why DID everone hate Gina so much on America's Next Top Model?" Those ones I have in the bag!
It is SO funny, but I feel like most, (ok, not most but a lot) of the knowledge I have has come from watching movies and hearing about people or places!
And dude, Kjersti, I TOTALLY hated Gina! Ugh!
Post a Comment
<< Home