Chicken Broth
When I am sick, I drink chicken broth. It's warm and soothing on the throat, its yummy in the tummy, it's just a really good comfort for a sicky. Also, there is some evidence that it really does help you get better. Even if it's just a placebo effect, I'm all over it. Yesterday, as I was heating up my "chicken broth" I took a moment to read the ingredients on the label. They were (in order):
Salt
Sugar
Monosodium Glutamate
Corn Maltodextrin
Onion Powder
Mechanically Separated Cooked Ground Chicken Meat
Sixth! Sixth on the list before you even get to something that MIGHT be chicken! This was simply NOT acceptable, so I went to the store and bought Organic Free Range Chicken Broth. The first six ingredients on this box were:
Organic Chicken Broth (from organic free range chicken)
Sea Salt
Organic Chicken Flavor
Chicken Fat
Cooked Organic Vegetables (carrot, onion, celery)
Vegetable Flavor (spinach uree, carrot puree, clelery puree, onion puree citric acid, salt)
Don't we all feel better about list #2 than list #1? Also, I must add that this was the yummiest chicken broth I've ever tasted. I know that those of you who read dooce are scoffing, but it is true. Organic free range chicken tastes better, and its better for you (and while it was alive, it was better for the chicken).
Commercial over.


3 Comments:
I think you should just stick with homemade chicken soup. Boil the chicken with a little salt, grate some carrots into the water, then add onions and some noodles. Voila! No questions about what is in it. Good idea, huh?
When I am sick I always try and get hot foods to help sooth my throat. I call it "trying to burn it out". Hot chai, hot soup, HOT HOT food, so thanks for the tip.
Totally off topic, but this made me crave Mom's Poor Man's Soup! Yummy! I love the home-made noodles. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home