Sunday, January 28, 2007

Welcome Gabrielle!

On Wednesday the 24th, a baby girl named Gabrielle was born. Who was waiting, with open arms and a firm grip to catch this little sweety and welcome her into the world? You guessed it--ME!!

I got to deliver a baby!

This entire month I have been working on my OB/GYN rotation with Dr M. Her life is all kinds of crazy--you would totally not believe me if I blogged about even half of the drama that I have witnessed this month--but she is a really great teacher, and a very neat person in many ways. I've grown to really like her and admire (some things about) her this month.

As I've gone through the month with her, I have been able to see quite a few babies be born--both naturally and by C-section. I've even been able to scrub-in on a few sections, which has been great. Every time that little baby comes out and announces its own existence with a good scream, I seriously get teary--every time. It is just a really amazing process, and I feel very honored to be allowed to be a part of it. I definitely felt that way when I was able to see my little nephew be born, and I feel that way with each new delivery.
The climax of the rotation, though, was most certainly on Wednesday when Dr M told me she was going to let me do the delivery. She was really great--she talked me through it a few times before it started, and made me visualize myself actually performing each step. When the actual delivery occurred, she was right there next to me, talking me through it and making sure that if I didn't catch the baby, she was there as backup. This is NOT the time to drop it and shrug it off saying, "Slippery little sucker!" =)
Anyway, all went well, and Gabrielle and her mother are both healthy and happy. The mother and father were kind enough to let me take a picture with their child. (Good thing I just bought a new phone with a camera on it!) In the pictures, I seriously look so proud--almost like it's MY baby! In one, my eyes are closed, but I'm including it as well because the baby looks really good in that one.
Cheers!

6 Comments:

Blogger -Wes- said...

Congratulations on your delivery!!! Nothing I did at work today is even half as cool as greeting a new person as they come into this world. Your patient must have had a lot of confidence in your professionalism to have you play such a important role.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

I think that is so cool, Allison. Honestly, I would love to be able to see a delivery. I know a lot of people think it's gross, but I think it's completely amazing. I still wish I had gotten to see when Isaac was born.
Congratulations, Allison!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Congratulations Allie! I know that I already said it on MySpace, but I think that you are awesome!!! :) (and sorry again it too me so long to send those pictures to you.)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Danae said...

SO COOL! I'm so proud of you! What an amazing experience it must have been. And I agree that it says a lot about you that someone would let a student (and I mean that in the best way possible) deliver their child and that the doctor had enough confidence in you to let you do it alone. Props to you!!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Yay for babies! Yay for awesome jobs and amazing cousins!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

ps. my blog is www.poeticaesthetic.blogspot.com

or, a multitude of unused ink cartridges, if you follow the link on my name..

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home