The Funny Thing
The other day I was seeing a patient who had her daughter with her. The daughter was a teenager, and has some form of mental retardation. (She's not my patient, so I'm not sure what her story is). Anyway, as I'm talking to the mother about her health and the reason she's here to see me, the daughter is staring at me, leaning forward, her brow furrowed in concentration, and turning her head this way and that to look at me from one angle and then another. I left the room to get something for the mother, and when I came back, the mother said to me, "She wanted me to tell you that you are very beautiful."
I said, "Oh, that's sweet. Thank you."
Then the girl says, "But you know the funny thing about you?"
I was sure she was going to say something about my acne, because I have had kids mention it before. "What?" I played along, acting like I was really really interested in what she had to say.
"You've got really thick eyebrows for a girl!" She said. "See my eyebrows, they're nice and thin like girl eyebrows should be. Yours are like boy eyebrows."
What do you even say to that? I just leaned forward like I was telling her a secret, and said, "If you think they're thick now, you should see them when I don't pluck them. You're lucky that you have such naturally pretty eyebrows."
So, in case you were wondering, THAT is the funny thing about me. I have BOY EYEBROWS.
Crabfest was two weekends ago, and that was fun. Don't let the boys fool you into thinking that Bruin Burgers are manna fallen from the heavens. Don't get me wrong, they were okay, but it was basically ground beef and processed cheese wrapped in dough and deep fried. They tasted okay, but even just the few bites I had sat in my stomach like a rock afterwards.
I was a huge fan of the bacon-wrapped scallops, which were served with pesto on a small tortilla, and, of course, the CRAB!!
A little lemon-butter and a salad, and this meal is HEAVEN.
I was going to get a crabfest hoodie as well, because I have the distinct impression that you are not "from here" until you have at least 3 crabfest hoodies in your closet. Alas, I didn't think the hoodie design was very cute this year, so I got a Dead Humpy hoodie and t-shirt instead, as well as a "Tough Alaska Chick" hoodie, and a cute knit hat with matching gloves.
The sun is out a bit more now, and I have been able to work in the yard a bit, which has been nice. I planted astilbe and columbine plants, which is kind of a joke here, I guess, because they grow wild, but they are some of my favorite flowers.
I also have 6 chickens now. Emma and the Dashwoods have been joined by the Bennet girls. I did, at first, have 3 Bennet girls, which I was going to name Elizabeth, Jane, and Kitty, but then Kitty literally flew the coop and disappeared, therefore christening herself Lydia instead. I was extremely worried about Lydia, as it is a dangerous world out there, full of foxes and bears and dogs etc, but I did recently find out that she showed up back at her old house. She must have a little homing pigeon in her.
They've had a little bit of a hard time getting along with the already established Emma and the Dashwoods, but now they seen to be settling in okay. I don't know much about chickens, so my task now is to try and learn how to best care for these girls. Hopefully I'll do okay by them. Geoffrey brought home a HUGE box of lettuce from Safeway that they were just going to throw away because it was getting a little old, and the girls have LOVED it so far.
Coming soon: Quilting Update! =)
Cheers!




3 Comments:
Boy eyebrows, huh? One thing that I think is very impressive about you is that you can think of a clever response to almost anything. I think I would've sat there, dumbfounded. And by the way, I think you have really nice eyebrows.
I don't know why you feel like you need to have all that Alaska stuff when you're just on vacation.
I love the names of all of your chickens! And I don't think you have boy eyebrows! Miss you tons!
All these years and I never knew what the funny thing was about you! Kids are a riot! :) Seeing these pictures really made me want to come and visit you! (I always want to come and visit you, but since airfare is so stinkin' high, I've tried to put it out of my mind.) LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment
<< Home