Monday, July 17, 2006

The Readiness is All

I'm sorry I have been so bad at posting lately, but I have finally finished my board exams, so I should have more time here for a while.

I must admit that boards were really hard. The COMLEX was a 9 hour exam, and the USMLE was a more merciful 8 hours. The exams are computer-based, as of a couple of years ago, and consist of 400 and 350 multiple choice questions, respectively. To prepare for these exams I picked two review books and read one 4 times and the other 2 times. I listened to a 40 hour pathology review on mp3 twice, and read an outline of that same review three times. I also completed and reviewed answers for about 3500 practice questions. In all, it was a little over two months and 500 hours of studying. I actually feel like I learned a lot of stuff in the last two months that I never learned in 2 years of attending school. I don't know if that is every medical student's experience or not.

For the record, I have been informed that I have little to complain about when it comes to the length of my boards. Before they switched it just a few years ago, each exam was twice as long--taking two days each to complete. I can't even imagine the smell of frying brains on the 8th hour of the 2nd day, can you?

If I was not armed with all of the information that I needed in order to successfully complete these grueling exams by attending school the last two years, I feel that I was, at least, armed with a sort of confidence--the ability to get through the last two months without breaking down and crying every day from the stress and the pressure. At some point in the last year, I have learned to believe in myself--to believe that it maybe wasn't a mistake after all that I actually made it into medical school in the first place, and to believe that I was smart enough to make it. I think that this new-found self-confidence was probably just as crucial to my success as the information that I learned. As Shakespeare's Hamlet says, "The readiness is all."

I don't find out the results of my exams until 6-8 weeks after the dates that the exams were taken, so it will be a while before I find out if I was indeed successful, but I feel good about them, which is saying a lot. I don't feel like I 'aced' them, not by any stretch of the imagination, but neither do I feel like I 'bombed' them.

I have more that I want to write about, but I don't want to lose you in a horrifically long update on my life, so I will update in installments. If you were hoping for some horror and are sad that I am not providing any, check out "Molly's Top 10 Horror Films" at http://sarahlitchick.blogspot.com/ Let it be noted that I was told to "kiss off" in the aforementioned blog, but Sarah is a very smart chick, and if she tells anyone to kiss off, it is for a good reason! She is also currently my favorite movie critic!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Ahhh, super thanks!

And if you can pass along a little of that confidence and certainty I will certainly accept some. ;)

Congrats on finishing the boards; that's a huge achievement in itself!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Allie, hearing you talk about all that studying makes me want to kill myself. You forgot to mention how HOT it is in Nevada.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Danae said...

Chelsee, are you talking about the heat, or the HOT Shakespearean actor you were crushing on? LOL.

Allie, do you get tired of us telling you that we are proud of you? I hope not, 'cause I'm not sure how else to put it. You ROCK!

2:37 PM  
Blogger gamefreak said...

Well, I wouldn't be able to study that hard for anything. I'm smart, but I don't have that kind of endurance. Congratulations on making it through the exams, and I hope you get good results.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home