Monday, October 30, 2006

A Story

I heard this story from a man at the VA:

"When I was in Vietnam, I almost lost my leg. The Viet Cong would sharpen bamboo sticks and dip the pointed ends in feces or other nasty things so that the wounds would get infected. I had one of these go right through the back of my calf--in one side and out the other. We didn't have very many antibiotics back then, and I was in the hospital for a long time while they tried different antibiotics to see if anything would save my leg. The wound was starting to get gangrene. They got to the point where there were only 4 antibiotics left that they could try, otherwise they would have to cut off my leg.
There was a nurse at the hospital there, and she would come in and talk with me for hours after her shift. Sometimes she would read to me. I didn't realize it at the time, but she was falling in love with me. On the day that they tried me on Keflex, the nurse wasn't working. They found that the Keflex was working, so they gave me three IVs--one in each arm, and one in the good leg, and they just flooded my system with the Keflex. Somehow, the nurse heard that they had found an antibiotic that was working for me, and she rushed to the hospital. I could hear her the second she came in the door--she was screaming my name and running down the hall. When she came to my room, she rushed in, jumped onto the bed with me, and started kissing me all over the face. I said, "We're going to have to stop meeting like this!"
So, I didn't lose my leg...and that nurse and I have been married for 33 years now."

The waterworks turned on when he finished the story--I totally started crying.

8 Comments:

Blogger Little Momma said...

I liked this story, too. Makes me almost believe in love.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Danae said...

That is SO sweet! I love to hear of stories like this. Wow, how awful for him to go through a situation like that with his leg... it has a moral of the story for you as a med student, I'm sure. And as for love... that is a GREAT love story.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

That is really cute!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I wonder about the nurse's version of events.... :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

Your work story totally blows mine out of the water! The story is really sweet! I think I would've cried by the end of it, too.

7:17 PM  
Blogger gamefreak said...

They always have to describe everything. I guess that's what makes it a good story. I would've just said: "I almost lost my leg in that war, but it was worth it, because I've been married to the nurse that cared for me for 33 years."

8:00 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

Don't be fooled. I cried because of the miracle of antibiotics and modern medicine, not because of the sappy love story!

=)

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Modern medicine gets me every time!


SSFB

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home