Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Matter of Importance

As I'm studying for my boards, I'm reading a lot of review books. I have highlighters in pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple, and I highlight everything that is important. Since the review books are review books, they have (hopefully) already narrowed down the information to "what's important," so sometimes I end up highlighting pretty much an entire paragraph or page.

This totally reminds me of a time when I was a kid, and I got my first bible, and I wanted to highlight it, like I used to watch my parents do. Mom gave me a highlighter, and told me that you were supposed to highlight the important things. I ended up highlighting like the first 10 chapters in Genesis--every word. Mom saw this, and said, "I thought I told you to only highlight the important things." I was like, "Mom! It's the creation story! It's ALL important!"

That's kinda how I feel right now.

7 Comments:

Blogger Danae said...

I did that a lot myself when I used to study... :)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Little Momma said...

Do you remember when we got your dad like 25 highlighters for Christmas one year? Highlighting runs in the family. I can't even read without a highlighter in my hand!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ya

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me above

ssfb

3:09 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

I NEVER write in my books. Highlighting or otherwise. I remember seeing people's colorful scriptures and being envious though. I have it ingrained in me though to not write in books myself though.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Chelsee. I can't stand to write or highlight in any book. It use to really bug me in school when we were required to mark up our textbooks and English novels. I figure if I mark something and then go back and reread a book later then maybe I might not catch something the second time around because my mind would automatically be drawn to the highlighted portions. I guess that's the point of highlighting and makes sense for a textbook but it almost makes me feel that the book has been abused and it makes me feel sad. ntd

6:38 AM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

I don't usually mark my books, and there's only been one exception: Marilyn Manson's autobiography "A Long Hard Road Out of Hell." At the time I thought it was such a good book and I really identified with him....so that tells you how messed up I was.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home