June summary and 2007 Confessions: #6 Promises Broken
So, June was my undoing. I had quite a few resolutions that I made for New Years, which sort of "came due" in June, and most of them went unfulfilled. One of which, of course, was to write a confession every month. June came and went without a confession. I blame medical school, really. If I wasn't in school, and studying for 2 board exams--one on the 9th and one on the 16th of July, (that's right, I have to take a 9 hour board exam on my birthday), I think I could have fulfilled my resolutions.
The one June goal that I was able to keep, was to complete my wedding scrapbook before my 2nd anniversary. Thanks to a lot of scrap-booking time in April, I was able to complete my wedding album, and I LOVE it. I remember, as I was working on the album, my little brother was mourning the amount of money spent on paper and stickers that could have been spent on food. I told him that food was instant gratification, and that the book would last forever. He said, "Yeah, in a box in your closet." I regret to inform him that he was wrong. It is on the bookshelf in my living room, and I look at it often.
Another goal, which came due on our anniversary, which I was not able to achieve, was one of those notorious New Years' weight loss goals. I missed my goal by about 8 pounds, which isn't bad, but wasn't the goal either. When it comes to my weight, I feel its a bit of a touchy subject, because I'm not fat, and I know that, but I'm still obsessed with weight, to a fault, I think. I'm pretty sure it drives Steve crazy the way I obsess over calories or carbs or the numbers on the scale. I have had moments in my life when I have been completely happy with who I am and where I'm at--including my physical body, but they seem to be the exception, rather than the rule. Anyway, blah blah blah. I missed the goal.
Our anniversary, was good. Dr R, with whom I worked in June, let me have the afternoon off when I mentioned that it was my anniversary. Steve and I went to a nice dinner at an amazing Italian restaurant overlooking "the strip". If I even look at pasta, I'm bound to gain about 5 lbs, but I ordered a potato wrapped salmon with asparagus with lobster sauce, which was amazing! Since I saved on calories for the main course by not getting pasta, I got tiramisu and a cup of coffee for dessert. Steve, of course ordered his classic favorites: chicken fettuccine alfredo and chocolate cake (with coffee) for dessert.

As an aside, here's a small confession: I LOVE coffee for dessert after a good dinner. I was first introduced to the concept of coffee for dessert at a dinner party at Dr. Matheson's home. I was plesantly surprised at how nice it was. There have been just a handful of times since then that I have had coffee for dessert, and every time I really love it.
Steve's birthday was also this month, and he brought it to my attention earlier in the year that we've been together for about 5 years now, and I have never made him a chocolate cake (his favorite dessert, as I mentioned before) for his birthday. Well, I could not let this continue! So, Kitty, my cake-decorating extrordinarre baby sister, you may want to close your eyes, or you'll DIE OF EMBARRASSMENT for your older, less talented sister.

It reminds me, a bit, of the cake that Laura Brown makes in "The Hours." It's okay, but certainly not the lovely cake that I had envisioned. It was very yummy though!

Confession: my secret ingredient is to add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the cake mix.
I also missed my goal of reading at least one book a month that does not relate to school in any way. This month I've been studying for boards, so I've been reading review books, and I am also preparing to apply to residency programs, so I've been reading a book called "Iserson's Getting into a Residency: A Guide for Medical Students", which has been awesome in alleviating some of my anxiety about what to do and when to do it. I started reading, "The world and other places" by Jeanette Winterson, but was not able to finish it. I'm planning on completing it this month, and "catching up" on my reading goal, of course, by reading "Harry Potter and the Ghostly Hallows" before the month ends (as long as Harry doesn't die at the end--otherwise as far as I'm concerned, the book never came out).
So, June came and went, and although I wasn't able to keep all of my resolutions for the year, it really was a very good month. Wish me luck/Keep me in your prayers for my boards this month, please.
Also, Happy Independence Day. Despite my dislike for W, it is still my favorite holiday.


5 Comments:
You don't need to feel guilty about not being Extra Super Woman, Allison. You are already doing an amazing thing and no one but you expects you to also read extra books and bake cakes with expert decorations and fly through the sky with the greatest of ease. When I think of all that you are accomplishing, which I could never even come close to doing, I am amazed and envious.
I don't know what your mom is talking about. I expect you to fly, and fly a lot. I also believe that little momma can accomplish anything she sets her mind to, so if she really wanted med school it would be hers.
The cake was amazing...tasting.
We have spent hours discussing our weight issues. And while you are gorgeous just the way you are, I know how hard you work and how much effort you put into being HEALTHY. I think it is more important to look at your total health than just your weight. Are you healthier than you were on New Year's Eve... I think so, and that is more important. In the last month I have made a big effort to get skinnier and while I am obsessed with the numbers, and it drives me freakin' nuts, I try and remind myself that I am now healthier than I was on June 1st.
My confession - we bought a scale to feed my obsession.
SSFB
PS - who is that hot guy in the background of the pic of Steve blowing out his candles? And those are some nice boobs in the pic of you and Steve ;)
SSFB
Good luck on your boards Allie! (And Allie, the book is called Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.) I also am very proud of your cake that you made for Steve. Not only does it look delicious, but you are already better than most of the girls that I trained to decorate cakes. If med school doesn't work, I could definitely hook you up with a cake decorating job at Baskin. ;) I am also glad that you had a good anniversary. I also don't think it is a big deal that it took you until June to break your New Year's Resolution. Most people do it a LOT sooner than that. You're amazing! And good luck!
Oh, I suck and being your sister. I totally missed telling you Happy Anniversary, and I think I even CALLED you that day. You even got me a card for MY 4 year anniversary so that makes it twice as bad. Sorry.
On the other topics, you know your fabulous, so I won't elaborate. I would KILL to be as skinny as you... but alas and alak... I think I am doomed. It sucks that some people have the drive and energy to go to medical school and I don't even have the drive to not drink Dr. Pepper on a daily basis. Man, sometimes life sucks.
Anyway, I'm late on wishing you luck on your tests, but GOOD LUCK. I know you'll do just GREAT!
Post a Comment
<< Home