0 to 5K
I have a lot to update you on. There's quilting updates, chicken updates, new recipes to share, and a blog post called "The Island Is Not Done With You: How $60,000 In Your Bank Account Can Be Tragic", but today I want to talk about my new app: 5K Runner and how it is helping me FINALLY put my new running shoes to good use. Fact: I am REALLY out of shape.
So, this whole "start running" goal has been a little harder to achieve than I envisioned. That, and the one time I really got going on the whole "start running" thing, I tripped over my dog while I was running, and nearly broke my wrist, and man was I hurt ALL OVER for quite a while. So, I gave up on it. But this week, I found an app called 5K runner. I had heard about an app called Couch to 5K, and when I was searching for that one, I happened across this one, which had much better reviews than the one I was looking for, so I went ahead and bought it.
Here's the thing: Every "get started running" program I have ever seen wants you to do something like this: warm up walk for 5 minutes, run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes, run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes....
I don't know how to do this without either a treadmill or running with your watch in front of your face, and either of these choices sound absolutely dreadful to me. I HATE running if all I'm doing is looking at a clock. The nice thing about this app, is that you can have it running on your phone/iPod while you're listening to your tunes, and a voice will just come over in your headphones saying, "Start running now." or "Slow down and walk now." So you don't have to worry AT ALL about the time. You just listen to your tunes, enjoy your running/walking, and let the little voice in your head(phones) tell you what to do. BRILLIANT.
So, today I did my first 0 to 5K walk/run, and it was awesome. You're supposed to do 3 walk/runs per week, and it builds you up slowly over 8 week until you can run a 5K. So, who wants to run a 5K with me, and where/when should we do it? I'll be ready in about 2 months!
Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but I was just really excited about this app, and how great my first run went today.
Want to know what awesome tunes I got to hear today? I put a lot of good music on a long playlist, and just put it on shuffle. Here's what I got today:
1. Whataya Want From Me (Adam Lambert)
2. We are Young (Glee Cast)
3. Hey You (Pink Floyd)
4. Closer to Fine (Indigo Girls)
5. Set Fire to the Rain (Adele)
6. Wig in A Box (Hedwig and the Angry Inch)
7. Play with Fire (DiDi Benami)
8. Poker Face (Lady GaGa) for the walk home
I've got a few days off here, and as I mentioned, a lot of updates for you, so I'll do my best to post again tomorrow.
Cheers!


2 Comments:
Wahoo plus sounds like a great mix!
That sounds like a great application so you can just focus on the music and it takes care of watching the time! Plus any mix that has Hedwig and Adam?! Good stuff!
Post a Comment
<< Home