Friday, August 17, 2012

Quilting Update: Double Wedding Ring and PHAT Tuesday Progress

As promised, here is the next quilting update:

First, Danae has picked a pattern for the quilt she wants, and it just arrived in the mail this week, so when I'm home in October, we'll get to pick her fabric!  Start thinking now, Shanners, about what colors you think you're going to want!  The pattern she picked was Stars and Geese:



The double wedding ring is coming along very nicely:


In fact, I'm not the only one who is a little bit proud of this.  If you go to Compass Rose Quilting's Facebook page, you may recognize the cover photo!  The Compass Rose is where I am taking my classes, and the ladies there, Martha and Jennifer are just wonderful!

PHAT Tuesday, For Kjersti, is coming along nicely as well.  We have completed 2 of 5 blocks now, and here's how she's looking:


The next block for this one is the squares in the middle that are blank right now.  We just started working on it last night by choosing colors and cutting fabric.  It's going to be so pretty!  Just wait until you see it!

A little story for your entertainment:  The style in those arcs with the spikes is called "New York Beauty."  A classic New York Beauty looks like this:


So it's a quarter circle with spikes.  As ours is not a circle, but more of an arc, it's considered a Modified New York Beauty.  Anyway, when we were making ours, and we got the first one done, Little Momma said, "It looks like the statue of liberty!" and she held it up over her head:


 I thought it was so cute, and I took a picture.  Last night at class I was showing the picture to our friends, and Lydia said, "It's so clever how they come up with the names of the different kinds of blocks, because it really does look like the statue of liberty."
I said, "But it's not called Statue of Liberty, Lydia, it's called New York Beauty."
And then I finally realized:  They call it New York Beauty because it looks Like the Statue of Liberty.  Seriously.  It took me this long to figure that out.  Sheesh.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post, there are still the chicken update, some new recipes and food pics to share as well as the longer "The Island Isn't Done With You" update, so I'll be back again tomorrow and Sunday to get you all caught up!

Cheers!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Just remember, if the island starts experiencing random flashes of light and then you begin moving forward and backward in time, you have jumped the shark.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

I love the quilts! Danae's pattern looks intense! I'm intimidated! I love that picture of our Momma! She makes me so happy!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home