Emma and the Dashwoods, as you know, became Emma and the Dashwoods, and the Bennetts.
 |
| Emma and the Dashwoods |
 |
| The Bennetts |
Lydia, as you also know, was the first chicken to leave my coop, as she was happier back at her old home. So I was left with Elizabeth and Jane in the Bennett family.
Elinor Dashwood was the next to leave us. It made me very sad, because she was my favorite (she is the one directly behind Emma in the top picture) and was the only one who would let me pick her up and pet her. She ended up getting sick, and I had to call Chicken Doctor Kevorkian (my friend, Rod) to come and take her away. Rod is the one who built the coop and gave me these chickens to start my flock. He knew I was sad about Elinor, so in her place, he left the Prices
 |
| Fanny and Penny Price |
They were still just chicks, when he brought them, and have just recently gotten big enough to start laying eggs.
A couple of weeks ago, Emma, Margaret and Jane escaped from the coop somehow. Emma and Margaret aren't much worse for the wear, but Jane was attacked by a Dirty Dog (who shall remain nameless) and although I got there in time to save her, she must have been injured enough that she wasn't able to recover. Yesterday, I had to have Chicken Doctor Kevorkian come over again. So now they are the dirty half-dozen.
 |
| Margaret, Penny, Maryanne, Elizabeth, Emma, Fanny |
It is obvious, I know, that I have absolutely NO BUSINESS keeping chickens, because I suck at being a farmer. I name them and love them and cry when they get sick or die. I've got some hearty Turner genes, but when it comes to keeping animals, I'm too much of a softy to let them just be useful and not fall in love with them. That said, I'm going to keep trying, even if I do end up crying over chickens instead of making them into broth.
The fun news is that Rod and Janet have gotten me yet another new chicken, and this one they ordered special just for me. (S)he is still too little to join my flock, so is under their care, but (S)he and I have met already, and I am so excited! She is so adorable, and because of her unique look, I have decided to break my tradition of naming the chickens Jane Austin names.
Meet Adam!
 |
| Baby Adam |
 |
| Rod and Adam |
(S)he is a golden polish chicken. This is not a sex-linked chicken, so she might be a he, we don't know for sure. I am going to call her a him even if she is a he, because of the name. The name is perfect though, don't you think? I mean, it could only be better if it was a black chicken.
Here is a picture of what this chicken could look like when it is all grown up:
 |
| Golden Polish Chicken |
 |
| Adam |
 |
| Adam |
 |
| Adam |
Last, I just want to show you how great these eggs are:
 |
| From top to bottom: Bennett egg, Emma egg, Dashwood egg, Price egg |
|
 |
| Today I got 5 eggs, which is a record for my girls! |
Cheers!
6 Comments:
Girl...I love your chickens and YOU! For some reason that bowl of eggs made me think of Easter! Easter eggs! Miss you! Love the baby chick and the name!! hehe!!! I sure Love you chicky!! :)
I love your chickens, eggs & quilts!! So much craftiness -- you are amazing. And, for the record as soon as you named your Golden "Adam," I knew exactly what you were talking about. Winning!
PS. If my dog had wrestled your chicken I would have felt really bad about it.
Awesome! I think your chickens are pretty dang cool... and the pics of Adam are even cooler! ;)
I love chickens! Yours are lovely!
What a perfect name for your Golden Chicken!! I love it!
What I love most about these pictures is the way Fanny and Penny are standing like synchronized models. Their feet and heads are at exactly the same angle. Just like they had practiced for the Olympics!
Post a Comment
<< Home