Saturday, April 01, 2006

Mom's Cooking

I've been cooking some of the things that my mom used to cook for us when I was I kid.

Last weekend Steve and I saw the movie, "V for Vendetta" and in the movie, they cooked eggs-in-a-basket for breakfast. My mom used to make this for us when I was a kid, and I LOVED it! I had completely forgotten it existed until I saw it in the movie last weekend. So, I made it for Steve (who'd never had it before) for breakfast last weekend. He liked it so much that when I asked him this morning, "What can I make for your breakfast? I'll make anything you want?" He immediately said, "I want eggs-in-a-basket!"

Also last weekend, I made beef stew with breadsticks for dinner on a rainy night. Mom used to make that when I was a kid too--the stew would be slow-cooking all day and would make the whole house smell so yummy!

The night before Steve's surgery, I told him I would make anything he wanted for dinner, and he wanted Teriyaki Meatballs. Ever since I first made these for him a few months ago, he wants them probably around 3 times a month. This is another yummy dinner that my mom used to make.

Other yummy things that Mom used to make that Steve and I love to have are chicken crescent rolls and quiche. If I had her recipe for lemon chicken, I'd probably make that all the time too, though it's probably a good thing I don't since it is so bad for you! Also her stroganoff is amazing, though I don't have that recipe either.

What are some of your favorite foods that you remember Mom (or your mom) making? Which ones do you make for your families now?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kjersti said...

Jay knows mom's potato soup (clam chowder without the clams) recipe by heart and we have it a lot. Like Allie said about the lemon chicken, it's too bad that he didn't learn one that was a bit better for us, but I'll tell you, when he makes it not a drop of it goes to waste! Plus we make chicken cresent rolls all the time, I'd say once every two weeks at least. I still need to learn the Teriaki meatballs and Giant Burger, stroganoff and Poor man soup. And I used to love on cold winter mornings when mom would make toast and hot chocolate! My mom was the best!
Then again, we still eat Tuna Helper from time to time in tribute to my second mom, Allison. :) I still need to learn how to make a chocolate chip cookie as well as she did when I was growing up!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

I was thinking about Mom's breadsticks just the other night! I was having a craving for Spinach Flourentine from Sbarro's, and I was thinking of their breadsticks, which led me to the memory of Mom's breadsticks!

The other day at work I was also thinking of Mom's delicious hot chocolate she made on the stove. The butter on top of the toast mixed with the chocolate was just delightfullly delicious. Good times.

I can't really add anything that the rest of you haven't already mentioned. Gary and I, while living with Don & Linda, introduced Red Beans & Rice, which they now make themselves quite frequently. I love the Teriyaki Meatballs, the Giant Burger, the Quiche and oh boy do I love the Lemon Chicken!! Who cares about calories? I also love the Chicken Crescent Rolls. They do a body good!

Mom, for someone who hated to cook, your kids sure did love everything you made. I even liked the Tuna Casserole! I think I forgot to mention Mom's home-made Cheesecake! Yum!

11:48 AM  
Blogger MeL said...

You know my mom's cooking -- Betty Crocker she ain't... but she did make this chicken dish with cream of mushroom soup that was pretty good. Her pot roast was always amazing, and Trip asks for it at least a few times a year.

Around these parts, it's HIS Mama whose recipes we are always making- she's a southern cookin' maniac and her gumbo is legendary. We'll totally make it for you guys if you ever come visit. :)

11:56 AM  
Blogger Little Momma said...

It's nice to know that you have good memories about the things I cooked. It is fun to see my children cooking dishes that they learned from me. I think you, Wesley and Danae are the only children who remember when I cooked every day. I was phasing out when Kjersti was growing up and now Chelsee and Geoffrey only get to taste their mom's cooking on birthdays and holidays. I never thought I would say that I hated to cook. I actually quite liked it when I was young. I just learned to hate it over the years, probably because of dishes like Lemon Chicken that made me gain 3 lbs. overnight. Anyway, if you guys all want the recipes for other meals like Beef Stroganoff, cheesecake, etc. I am more than happy to write them up for you. Just let me know which ones you want.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

I love mom's cheesecake. In fact, that is the only form of cheesecake that I will eat. I hate all of the others. I love almost all of the other foods that you guys mentioned, but I have to add mom's potatoes and gravy and the roasts that the gravy would come from.

I know it doesn't exactly count, but I also remember nights where I would have a hard time sleeping because I was coughing so much. Mom would get up and make me some tea with honey to sooth my throat so we could both get some sleep!

Thanks mom, your my mom. :)

8:03 PM  
Blogger -Wes- said...

Put me down for a giant burger recipe, Mom.

I really do enjoy cooking and trying new recipies out. The other day I was trying to make something in my crock pot and the recipe called for three cloves of garlic.

So I went to the store and bought three garlic plants and chopped them up and put them in my crock pot. Unfortunatly, a clove of garlic is just a portion of a garlic plant. so I put like a million times more garlic in than the recipe called for. Needless to say the whole batch was ruined.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

Hey Wes, you should patent the "crock-pot 43 cloves of garlic" recipe and sell it to "The Stinking Rose." It's a restaurant in SF that puts insane amounts of garlic on everything they serve.

Mom, I have a list of recipes I need to get from you when I come home for Passover.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home