No M&Ms for Me Today
I was pottie-trained when I was around 2 years old, but when we moved into the house in Bountiful, something threw me off, and I started wetting my pants again. To retrain me to use the bathroom rather than wetting my pants, my Dad used M&Ms as positive reinforcement. If my Dad came home from work in the evening, and I hadn't wet my pants that day, he would give me a handful of M&Ms.
I've had symptoms of a UTI (urinary tract infection) for the last 3 days, but they were so benign at first that I didn't even really realize that they were there. Today has been quite a different matter. I started out having the urge to pee every 20 minutes or so, and as the day has gone on, the urgency became more and more frequent, and the peeing became more and more painful until finally, the urge never went away completely, and neither did the pain. I think I had a UTI once when I was a kid, but I haven't had one since then, and GOD do they HURT!
I finally went to the urgent care, where I was seen by a very kind D.O. who, in addition to giving me samples for one of the drugs I needed and a prescription for the other, told me that it amazes him that such beautiful girls are going to medical school these days. (He himself graduated from medical school in the 60's and he swears that only ugly girls went to medical school back then).
I went to Smith's to have my prescription filled, and while I was there, the urge to pee was getting stronger and stronger. I tried to explain to myself that it wasn't real--I'd only just peed maybe 30 minutes ago, but my poor urethra wasn't having it. I started looking for a bathroom, but to my horror, ever few steps I took, a little bit of pee would dribble out. I seriously thought I was going to burst right there in the grocery store. I knew if I stopped to ask someone where the bathroom was, those precious seconds would do me in. I didn't know what else to do, so I went outside and started walking towards my car. I don't know why, because there was NO WAY I could make it home before I exploded. That's when I saw the golden arches. I've never been so relieved to see a McDonalds in my life. I ran across the parking lot (still dribbling every few steps) to the McDonalds.
Have you ever had to go to the bathroom SO BAD and when you finally get into the bathroom you seriously don't know if you can even get your pants down before you go? Yeah. I'm happy to report that I did, in fact, get my pants down, but the dribbling had already done enough damage. There was no way I could go back into the store. I had to drive home and change my pants first, then go back to the store to pick up my medicine. Just in case you've forgotten what a geek I am, I have to tell you that when the pharmacist told me that the pills he was giving me (Phenazopyrid) would turn my pee orange or red, I said, "That'll be fun!"
The saddest part of all is this: My life is seriously so boring, that after I picked up my prescription and I was walking back to my car, thinking about the events of the day, I seriously thought, "Well, at least now I have something to blog about!"


7 Comments:
This is what reading too much Dooce will do to you. She's catching. ;)
Allie I had a UTI recently too and I can vouch for you that they hurt really bad. I am sorry that you got one, but for some reason I haven't ever thought of you having to go to the doctor. Why is the doctor in the family going to see a doctor?
The way to get instant sympathy from me while I was doing all the MA work was giving me a urine sample and then having the blood box turn dark green and the leukocytes turn dark purple RIGHT after you dip it. Honestly, it would make my whole body hurt to watch it. I don't get UTIs too often, but I've had my share and I know that it's such a terrible experience.
Allie, you totally crack me up. You write your blogs so well. I like the "after the pharmacist told me the medication would turn my pee orange or red I said, 'That'll be fun!'" I can totally see you doing that!
I think everyone probably has an embarrassing bathroom story. I have them from about every age. My worst UTI was when I was doing a 21-mile practice run for the St. George Marathon. Ramona Blanchard and I were running from the top of East Canyon over to Emmigration Canyon and then down to the City Center Building in Salt Lake where Wes worked at the time. I had to keep stopping to pee blood all the way down Emmigration Canyon. I bet that was more than any of you wanted to know, right?
Three Words. Bananas In Pajamas. (Yes, I still remember laughing so hard I actually wet myself in the store, and had to let you and Heidi and the other masochists buy me a hot pink skort and leopard underpants so I'd have something to change into in the store bathroom.)
"Misty watercolor MEEEEMREEEES...."
Allie! That is no good! I have had bad UTIs, and I've actually had my mother-in-law ask me at family dinner in front of the ENTIRE family how my bladder problem was going. Being a woman seriously sucks sometimes.
If you remember, I also had the heinous experience a few years ago with an upset stomach... I found a bathroom in time but alas and alak, it was the MEN'S room, and much to my dismay, as I'm sitting on the toilet, I hear male voices coming down the hall straight for me. I got up to lock the door, but turned the lock the wrong direction and had the door thrown open... and there was little me... pants down around my ankles with two quite good-looking guys staring at me. At least you peed your pants with some dignity.
Ok, Danae wins!
Post a Comment
<< Home