Sunday, August 05, 2007

Kodiak Update: Pictures Added!

So who needs a cable to actually send your pictures from your camera to your computer when you have the amazing wonder-Steve who can magically somehow get the photos from the camera to the computer? So I'm updating the older blog with the pictures to illustrate all of the fun that we've been having, and then this weekend I'll do an update with the most recent events and more pictures.



This is the view from Wes' kitchen window.

I've been here in Kodiak for a little over a week now, and it has really been fun.

I started working with Dr A. on Tuesday--he works Tuesday through Saturday, with Thursdays in the ER. I am getting along with him stunningly, which is always a pleasant surprise for me. I'm always worried when I start a new rotation that the doctor is going to be mean or that the staff won't like me or something. It's my impostor syndrome, I guess. He's really great though. I'm learing a lot from him, and we're having a lot of fun together too. His staff, and really all of the hospital staff with whom I have worked so far have been very kind.
Anyway, this week he has mostly been having me shadow him, but is willing to give me more autonomy starting next week.
There was a pt that we saw in the ER on Thursday who had an accident with his chain saw meeting his leg, and after we gave the case to the surgeon, I was called by the surgeon to see if I would like to observe the surgery, which was really cool of him.

Outside the clinic, Wes has been showing Steve and me a great time. We went hiking last weekend






and also got to cheer for Wes and his team in a scrimmage game of softball. Wes even took one for the team by blocking a ground ball with his shin. What a bruise!



This weekend Wes took us on a dinner cruise, which was AWESOME! We had some amazing food, and were able to see puffins, bald eagles, otters, sea lions, and even a few humpback whales.





Last night, there was a music festival. Since we still don't have a car (soon now!) we took the free public transportation that was provided so that people wouldn't have to drive drunk. This seemed perfect, in theory, but turned a little annoying/amusing when it became clear that this meant that people were getting drunk before boarding the bus to the festival, drinking on the bus on the way to the festival, drinking at the festival and were belligerently drunk on the bus on the way back from the festival. It was a good time.





We're hoping to get a good hike in today, go fishing tomorrow, and maybe do some kayaking sometime later this week or next weekend. Dr A. has a couple of kayaks that he has offered to let us borrow, so it is just a matter of finding the time and the courage to brave the cold water.
In the down time, I have taken up sudoku, and have become quite addicted. Wes and Steve have are now to the medium level on guitar hero, and can be heard rocking out most nights of the week.
We are thoroughly enjoying ourselves.
I'll keep you updated!

7 Comments:

Blogger Chelsee said...

Oh! Sounds like too much fun! I wish I was there! :( Love you!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Little Momma said...

Thanks so much for the update. I love hearing about your stay in Kodiak. We hear so little from Wesley that it is good to know what he does in a day. We all knew that you would be a hit with the doctors there. You are the best medical student they have ever had, I bet. Sounds like the three of you are having a great time and that Wesley is showing you all the sights (and sites). So, do you think you want to work and live in Kodiak when you graduate?

1:11 PM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

So, the bad news about you being in Kodiak is that I miss talking to you weekly or so to catch up with you. Even if it's not long distance for me to call you, I still worry about it.
The good news is updates like this! I'm so glad that you're having a good time and I'm jealous of the time you get to spend with Wes! I love you both, and call when you can!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Little Momma said...

Yea for pictures! Worth a thousand words and all that. Wesley looks a little drunk in that last one. You guys must really have had fun at that festival. It is cool to see you all up there together.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Love the pictures!!

8:44 PM  
Blogger gamefreak said...

I'm glad that you have become addicted to sudoku. I was the one that got you addicted, right? I remember telling you about it before you left to Alaska. Kayaking is really fun to try out. The first time I tried, I never fell in the water, but I'd usually tip the boat enough to get wet. I went to the music festival too, but I got really impatient and had Wesley take me home. I feel really bad about that now. I'm glad you're having a good time. I remember that I didn't want to leave. The only downside to being up there was the cost of stuff, and there was no Barq's root beer. I hope to see you guys again soon to tell us about it in person. Love you!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

It sounds like you are having so much fun! Everything I wanted to say has been said by those before me.

I love you, have fun, and remember, if the other kids want to fight you, punch them in the face and run! LOL. Just Kidding. Not sure where that came from...

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home