12 days to the Match!
Less than two weeks and we'll finally know where we're going to be for the next 3 years. Just 12 days to the match (11 if we're rounding to the nearest day). I don't know who's more excited--me or Steve! I'll certainly keep everyone posted.
February ended well. I finished up the OB/GYN rotation with Dr C, and either my hard work or my famous chocolate chip cookies earned me an A, so all's well that ends well I suppose.
Last weekend Steve and I went to visit Hoover Dam. It's only 30 minutes away from here, yet we've never made it out there in the 4 years that I've been here, so it was high time for a little day trip! The Dam was really interesting--it's an amazing feat of human ingenuity and engineering. And just think, if it hadn't been built, SSFB would have grown up in the Imperial Bay instead of the Imperial Valley! Also, did you know that the Dam is named after President Herbert Hoover, not J. Edgar Hoover? Anyway, here are a few pictures of Steve and me at the dam.

With the fee you pay to go on the Hoover Dam Dam Tour, you get these lovely and stylish plastic yellow hats. I made Steve carry mine. =)


One of the really neat things about the dam, is that not only is it an engineering masterpiece, but it is also a work of art in many ways. It was built with an eye towards the future, and they knew that it would be a place that people would want to come and visit, so they added a lot of detail and beauty to it. This flooring is just an example of the fine workmanship.

The Dam, as you might know, is on the border of Arizona and Nevada. The line that I am straddling in this picture is the border, so I'm half in Nevada and half in Arizona. Talk about your covert border crossing!


So this week, I started my Hem/Onc rotation with Dr S and Dr E. I worked with them last year, and they liked me enough that they asked me to come back again this year. There are a lot of things that I really like about Hem/Onc, and if I had gone into IM, I probably would have specialized in it. I am really enjoying this rotation, and I am learning a lot. That said, I am more certain than ever that family practice was the right choice for me. I think Hem/Onc would have worn me down with sadness.
There's a lot going on this month, so hopefully I'll be posting a little more often--I'm really going to busy, but life is great, and I think the best is yet to come.
Cheers!


6 Comments:
Did you see any transformers there?
Hey Allie,
I am glad to hear that you are having fun and still excited (versus being anxious and nervous)!
Glad to hear you are happy with your decision and I am sure you will end up exactly where you want to end up! Thinking of you,
Ronja
I can't wait to hear the confirmation that you will, in fact, be coming back to Utah. Just wish I would be here to witness it.....
I only drove by the dam and was not smart enough to stop. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Cool pics, Allie! I want to go someday.
We can't wait for you to come HOME! Call me FIRST, ok?
Sorry Allie, growing up in the Imperial Valley (not Imperial Bay thankfully) on the American Mexican border (where the towns are Mexicali and Calexico) I know what a covert border crossing is and I must inform you it requires at least 15 of your nearest and dearest cousins. I'm glad to see you had a dam fine time anyway!
SSFB
These are good pictures of you and Steve. I'm glad you got to go somewhere besides Utah for once! (Like you said, when you live somewhere else, you have to take all your vacations in Utah, but when you live in Utah, you can take vacations somewhere else.) I am really looking forward to having you here on a permanent basis. The world has a LOT of problems we need to get solved!
Post a Comment
<< Home