Friday, September 23, 2011

Celebrating good friends (and grateful that wherever I go I am able to find some).

As I've tried to express in previous posts, there are a lot of great things about living here in Kodiak. The hardest part, though, is being away from my peeps--some of whom I left behind in Utah, but many of which are also spread throughout the country, because whether I like it or not, life takes us all in different directions. If I could pack up my 30 favorite people and move them up to this little island with me, life would be pretty much perfect, and its imperfections would be oh so much more bearable.

I have made some good friends here, too. And I am extremely grateful for that. In particular, I wanted to give a shout out to Rod and Janet, who welcomed us with open arms, and have gotten us out to see the island and go fishing. They have shared their fish, fresh eggs, fresh vegetables from their hoop house, and most recently their sauna with us, as well as their time and friendship. Just this week, they invited us over to pick some peas, and sent us home with this bounty (plus a dozen fresh eggs, not pictured here):

Now my next question is: What am I going to do with all of these fresh vegetables? In particular, I'm asking Sarah and Kristen, since you two are probably the best with veggie recipes, but if anyone has a great idea or recipe, please let me know, because I don't want any of this food to go to waste!

Anyway, I just want to say that I'm happy to have the new friends I'm making here, and I miss (oftentimes DESPERATELY miss) the friends that I haven't seen since I've moved here. Thank you for your continued love and support. I feel very lucky to have such amazing people in my life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chelsee said...

I love you and miss you too!! I am so excited to go to Shakespeare with you in a few weeks!! :)

11:42 PM  
Blogger Green Giant said...

Hooray for good friends and fresh vegetables! I'm glad you've made such good friends. They've been so generous to you guys! I'm sure whatever you choose to make with those vegetables is going to be amazing!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Green Giant said...

Apparently I'm signed in as Jay, but this is from Kjersti. Jay would never say something that nice, as I'm sure you know! :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

So glad you're finding new people to love you! Stir fry (noodles or rice) seems like an obvious possibility. It also looks like you have the makings of a lovely, awesome vegetable pot pie, shepherd's pie, or other roast. You could also just roast all those veggies in a pan with some oil, garlic, possibly some balsamic or some soy and serve them with a meat or just on their own.

10:40 AM  
Blogger K.J. said...

When you go to Shakespeare in St. George you might see Shanny! Her school dance team is going to be there! If it were her dance team from the studio I would be there too! She is way excited to go!
The veggies look yummy! Glad you have made some good friends in Alaska. Then again, who wouldn't want to be your friend...YOU are fricken AMAZING girl! Miss you to pieces!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

Hooray for good friends that always look out for you! Love ya and miss ya!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home