Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Maui Geek Journal, and other Cool Stuff

Steve and I are currently in Maui! 




It is the first trip to Hawaii for each of us, and we have really enjoyed it so far.  We came so that I could attend a primary care conference hosted by UCSF.  I'm actually the kind of geek who really likes to learn, so, honestly, I was probably almost as excited about the conference as I was about Hawaii--ALMOST.  I have attended every lecture, so far, and have really learned a lot. 

I should mention that our trip over was significant in that I became a vegaquarian.  I think I may eventually become a full vegetarian, but I figure as long as I am living on an island in the pacific ocean, and can eat locally caught fresh fish, I should go ahead and do that.  This is something that I have been thinking about for a long time.  The thing that pushed me over the edge?  I am reading the book "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safron Foer, and although it is supposed to be an intelligent argument on both sides of the isssue, I am only about half-way through it, and I have decided. 
Since I became a vegaquarian, 4 days ago, I have already "messed up" once.  I ordered scallops the first night here in Hawaii, and they turned out to be bacon-wrapped scallops.  I've done really well since then, though, and I'm pretty proud of myself. 

On our first full day here, I got a ridiculously bad sunburn. 

This was very confusing to me, because I ALWAYS wear sunscreen.  I am as WHITE a Scottish-blooded chick as they come, and I have had a number of horrifying blistering sunburns in my life, so I have learned to be careful.  I was completely baffled about how this sunburn came to pass for 2 days, but today, as I was sitting in a dermatology lecture, nonetheless, it suddenly dawned on me that I am taking minocycline for acne treatment, and this medication casues photosensitivity.  Translation:  If you take this, and you go in the sun for longer than about 10 minutes, you WILL get burned, sunscreen be damned. 

Now, for the geek journal portion of this post!  Here are the feathered friends I have seen since we've been here:

 house sparrow (nothing special, they're everywhere, but they are here in Hawaii, too).  

 Spotted Dove

 Chestnut-Bellied Sandgrouse

 Zebra Dove

 Cattle Egret

 Northern Cardinals
(Yes, even the so-called "Northern" Cardinals appear to like to "vacation long-term" in Hawaii!)

 Yellow-Billed Cardinal

Common Myna

Anyway, it has been a lovely trip so far (except for the sunburn--YIKES!) and I'm sure I'll have more pics and updates to post here soon.  Until then,
Cheers!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kae Loy said...

I love the yellow-billed cardinal! What a beautiful bird! Also, I approve of your new way of eating, and support you. I know the American big-business way of raising and killing animals is barbaric.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home